Curried Chicken & Pasta Salad Recipe
Chicken and salad can be a simple dinner staple, but it can also be a fun twist with flavors. Curried chicken gives a familiar dish a blast of spice with a creamy salad for a hearty and healthy meal.
- 12 ounces large whole-wheat pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, (1/2 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt, or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- First, cook the pasta in a large pot, bringing to a boil and cooking for a solid ten minutes. After checking the consistency, drain the pasta with a strainer and then rinse it thoroughly.
- Next, toast the almonds in a dry skillet, using low heat. Remember to stir the almonds constantly until they begin to brown, and do not leave them unattended or they will easily burn and you will have to start over. Toast for 2 minutes and then remove from heat and put in a small bowl.
- Add curry powder to a skillet over low heat and stir for about 30 seconds constantly, before removing from heat and putting in a small bowl. Then add in yogurt, mayonnaise, cinnamon chutney, turmeric, and ground red pepper. Stir all together gently until all flavors are blended together and set the small bowl to the side.
6) Combine chicken, celery raisins, scallions, and the rest of the pasta together in a large bowl. Then simply add the dressing and toss everything together in the large bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper, and ground red pepper. Add the toasted almonds last, as a topping or a garnish.