Cheetos are one of the most recognizable snacks in the world, thanks to their unique shape and color. Also, they come in many different flavors, like Flamin’ Hot and XXtra Flamin’ Hot Crunchy. Anyone who eats Cheetos is familiar with the feeling of getting the Cheeto dust all over your fingertips while you eat them.
But here are six facts about this iconic snack staple that maybe you didn’t know.
1. Cheetos are actually flammable. They contain so much concentrated fat and oil that they can easily be burned as a source of warmth. So, Cheetos are a cheesy and delicious snack that could potentially save your life if you need a fire without any wood.
2. A one year supply of Cheetos requires about 5,000 cows. A one year supply of Cheetos requires ten million pounds of cheddar cheese, and ten million pounds of cheddar cheese is eleven million gallons of milk. So 5,000 cows are needed to produce that much milk, for that much cheese, for Cheetos.
3. As many Cheetos fans already know, different countries carry different Cheetos flavors. The company is owned by Frito-Lay, and flavors of Cheetos do vary by world region. Outside the United States customers can get Strawberry Yogurt Cheetos, Pepsi Cheetos and even Ketchup Cheetos.
4. Flamin’ Hot Cheetos was actually invented by a janitor who worked at a Frito-Lay factory. His name is Richard Montañez, and he decided to sprinkle chili powder on a batch of undusted Cheetos when a machine broke down. The flavor was pitched to the company and the rest is snack history. This spicy flavor is still a cultural flavor among Cheetos lovers.
5. America is obsessed with having the largest versions of things, and Cheetos are no exception. The largest Cheeto in existence is in Algona, Iowa, where it rests on a velvet pillow inside a restaurant, although it was originally discovered in Hawaii.
6. Flamin’ Hot Cheetos have actually sent people to the hospital with abdominal pain, due to the hot pepper spice used on the individual pieces in each bag. This snack should be eaten in moderation. Also, the red dye used in the snack can result in a red stool.